Permits are required for many remodeling projects, repairs, replacements, new structures, and additions. Before starting any home improvement project, please contact the Inspectional Services Division at 630-823-5860 for permit requirements. Please remember to complete a building permit before starting any work. If you start work without a building permit, you are subject to a permit penalty and Village personnel have no other alternative than to stop work on your project. You can print a copy of the Building Permit from our Forms and Permits Page. You can also apply for a permit online by submitting the Building Permit Application Form.
List of Common Construction Projects
Some of the common construction projects are listed below. Contact Village staff at 630.825.5860 if you have any questions.
- Please use the Building Permit Application for New Construction (DOCX) form for new construction.
- For accessory structures, remodeling, and room additions, please use the Building permit Application (PDF) form.
- For residential roofs projects, please use Residential Roofs Form (PDF).
- Accessible Parking
- Basement Remodel
- Central Air Conditioners
- Contractor Registration Requirements
- Detached Garage
- DuPage Single-Family Rehab brochure
- Electric Service Upgrades
- Energy Conservation
- ePermits Tutorial
- Fire Alarm Impairments
- Flag Pole Requirements
- Furnace and A/C units
- HP FOIA form 2021
- KnoxBox 2018 Order Form
- Lead Safe Brochure (EPA)
- Lead-Safe Renovations (EPA RRP Rule)
- Low Voltage Alarms
- Mailbox Installation
- Patios, Service Walks, Stoops
- Permanent Signs
- Permit Information Requirements
- Plumbing Affidavit
- Residential Roof Checklist
- Room Additions
- Sanitary Sewer Laterals
- Sanitary Sewer Repairs
- Smoke CO Detector Requirements
- Solar Permitting Guidelines
- Swimming Pools
- Temporary Signs
- Temporary Tent
- Water Heater
When to Start Home Improvement Projects
Work on a home improvement project may commence only after a building permit has been issued. To show a permit has been obtained for the work, please display the permit placard in a window so it is visible from the street throughout the entire project.
Handouts for Projects Regulations
The Inspectional Services Division has many helpful handouts specifying general regulations for many of the projects listed above. Handouts are available for decks, patios, driveways, swimming pools, detached garages, sheds, and others. Please contact the Village staff to see if a handout is available for your project.