The Code Enforcement Unit is responsible for:
- Protecting the health, safety and maintenance of all residential properties within the Village
- Enforcing the International Property Maintenance Code and the Hanover Park Municipal Code.
- Administering the Rental Residential Licensing program.
- Inspecting all residential rental properties in the Village
The goal of every enforcement action undertaken by the Code Enforcement Unit is to achieve voluntary compliance. Should you receive a Property Maintenance Violation Notice and have any questions, or need to request extra time for compliance, you are strongly encouraged to make direct contact with the Code Enforcement Officer whose name and telephone number is listed on the notice. Building permits and commercial property inspections are the responsibility of the Department of Community Development.
Crime Free Multi-Housing Program
- All rental residential properties in the village are inspected and landlords MUST attend a Crime Free Multi-Housing training seminar as well as use a crime free lease addendum prior to being licensed.
- Apartment buildings having more than two apartments are inspected and licensed annually.
- Residential rental buildings having two units or less are inspected and licensed every two years.
- The goal of this program is to ensure that these properties are maintained in a manner that provides for the health and safety of the tenants, as well as the community.
Code Enforcement Hotline
- Monitored 24 hours day, 7 days a week.
- Residents may call the Hotline anytime at 630-823-5572 and leave a confidential voicemail to report violations.
- Complaints may be made anonymously if desired.
- A Code Enforcement Officer will investigate the complaint, usually within 24 to 48 hours after receiving the message.
For most the frequent code enforcement violations encountered by Code Enforcement Officers, go to the Laws, Rules and Regulations page. These frequent violations are also available in pamphlet form (in English or Spanish) by contacting the Code Enforcement Unit at 630-823-5570. For any other concerns, you are encouraged to contact the Code Enforcement Supervisor at 630-823-5565. The Code Enforcement Unit appreciates your cooperation and assistance in maintaining the quality of life and appearance of the Village of Hanover Park.